Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Will Work For Gig Tickets.....

The end of high-school felt like a tumour removal. A little painful, perhaps, but also relieving. Now, as the summer holidays draw to a close & university approaches, I’ve started to reflect on my experiences these past few months. It’s not very inspiring.

A major goal was to find a job, get some experience & a little extra cash. I flunked. Horribly. After failing to get an interview in any of the positions I applied for- which ranged from retail, to customer service, to factory work, to hospitality- I attempted to get volunteer work. They haven’t called back to complete my training.

It appears no-one wants to employ me, even for free.

Okay, I do write for a magazine on a semi-freelance basis but that’s more a labour of love (which I’m grateful for). Granted, it’s not easy to get work in this town & even harder if you can only take casual positions. Still, my ego has taken quite a blow. I’d feel guilty getting a job for only two weeks then quitting because I have to skip town, so I’m at a bit of a loose end.

In the meantime, I’ve been aimlessly walking the dog, helping Ma with the housework, slowly working my way through a cheap bottle of vodka & writing. After reading one too many turn of the century (1800-1900) horror stories, I’ve found myself putting together an imaginary world in which to set short stories. It’s a little whacked up as of yet but I’ll keep you posted.

Anyway, I’m shortly headed to live on-rez in Melbourne, away from my family. Can’t say I’m not nervous but then again, I’m nervous about everything. There’s only three people I know at the whole university & only one I’m in contact with. All my other friends are scattered; Geelong, other parts of Melbourne, Singapore, France, Canada, Brisbane, Cambodia...... so this blog is kinda part commentary-on-life part keep in touch-with-friends. Anyone’s welcome to read & comment.

Take care, all.

1 comment:

Ang said...

Awesome start. Just keep blogging and keep this commentary-on-life happening! It’ll be great to read up on you every now and then! :)

In the mean time, don’t do anything bad while im away!